I have tried several times to make my own granola bars, unfortunately, most of them have been fails. I can’t seem to get the right amount of moisture in them so they crumble and fall apart. My husband found this recipe and knowing how badly I want to make my own vegan protein bars, not to mention how I like to try new recipes he suggested I try again.
Not only did these work but they tasted GREAT!
Silly thing is the only thing they have for moisture is a banana, crazy huh? Maybe I’ve always just tried to add too much to my bars before, I don’t know.
Anyway here is the recipe for the GCN Energy Bars
Vegan Protein Bars
- 1 1/2 cups ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 3/4 cup mixed dried fruit (I used 1/4 cup each of dates, strawberries & blueberries, next time I might add another 1/4 cup of fruit)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds (original recipe called for .5 cups flax. Your body can’t digest flax unless it is cracked and I didn’t feel like grinding the flax)
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- cinnamon & salt to taste (I used about 1 tsp of each, probably could have used more salt but all of my nuts and seeds were raw and unsalted)
- Blend the bananas in a food processor until smooth
- Transfer to a bowl and add in rest of ingredients, mix well with hands or spoon.
- Transfer to a parchment lined cookie sheet. I had one that was 12″ x 8.5″ that worked perfectly
- Bake at 200 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes and cut into bars.
They are really good, vegan and sugar-free! You could probably add some cocoa nibs or vegan chocolate chips, mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (although that would make these non vegan).Simple, healthy and great on the go!Click To Tweet
If you like these Vegan Protein Bars you will probably like these other protein snacks
If you like this recipe make sure you pin it and share with your friends and family either through Facebook, Twitter or by sending them the URL to this page. Thanks!